sexta-feira, 3 de dezembro de 2010

How To Be a Good Friend - The Health Benefits of Friendship and a Strong Support Network







The emotional health benefits of friendship include a longer, happier life. Being a good friend makes your life more fun, interesting, and easy to handle! When you have even just one close or best friend, your attitude and ability to deal with stress and problems is increased.

Surprisingly, even spending time with an intimate partner doesn't provide the same physical and emotional health benefits as friendship. Good friends offer a different kind of support than lovers, siblings, parents, or children do. Good friends provide a different level of understanding and communication -- and this positively affects your health, wellness, and attitude. Strong feelings of connectedness is another emotional health benefit of friendship.


 The Emotional Health Benefits of Friendship

 

Psychological research shows that stressed-out hamsters with skin wounds who were paired with other hamsters healed faster than those left alone to heal. The hamsters with friends also produced less of the stress hormone cortisol, which has negative effects on mood and immunity. You may not be a hamster, but the effects are transferable to human friends. If you're depressed, recuperating from an illness, or stressed you'll heal and deal faster with friends. This is a huge health benefit of friendship.

Researchers haven’t figured out exactly how, but friends boost your immune system. Good friends help you relax, take a deep breath, and remember what really matters – and why. The connection and relationship you feel when you’re with your friends boost your feelings of hope, faith, and belief that things will be Okay. Friends provide comfort and companionship, laughter and honesty. A strong support network can also keep you motivated and energized! This is why it's important to know how to be a good friend.

A strong support network isn't just about emotions and feelings. A major emotional health benefit of friendship is moral support. Practically speaking, when a friend accompanies you to a doctor’s appointment or medical procedure, you’re more likely to experience lower blood pressure and a slower heart rate. You’ll heal faster and live longer. Without social ties or friends to keep you going, you’re more likely to experience negative emotions, more illnesses, and even earlier death than normal.




Characteristics of a Good Friend
  • Accepts you as you are: A good friend is someone who does not try to be somebody that he is not and accepts you as you are. They are also patient with you when you make mistakes and forgive you when you hurt them.
  • Honest: A good friend would be honest and loyal with you. He does not break the promises that he made to you. He makes you feel safe and secure with him. He is your true critic. You will find many who falsely appreciate you, but a good friend will tell you the truth even if it's somenting you don't want to hear. He will point out your mistakes in private not in fornt of others and also help you overcome them.
  • Give you Space: A good friend respects your privacy. He understands that you have family, other friends and colleagues who are part of your life too and do not cling to you always. He builds trust and confidence which makesyou comfortable enough to share your good and bad times with him.
  • Always in touch: Good friends don’t wait for you to call you. He always makes an effort to keep in touch with you even if it is through a quick phone call or an email. He knows what's going on in your life and is interested about it. A good friend also does not avoid even if they are busy and do not ignore your phone call or mails. A good friend makes it clear that they care about you. 
  • Happy for you: A good friend never gets jealous on your success but would be happy for you. He celebrates your success and his success with you. When you are down and needs support he would be there to support and care about you. An ideal friend has a sensitive side which would make themunderstand others feelings. They may not be able to read your mind, but chances are they can usually tell when you're happy, sad, excited, shocked or upset. A good friend will likely know how to lift your spirits and make your day.








  • A friend is someone who accepts you as you are.
  • A friend is someone who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
  • In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.
  • A fiend is someone who cheers you up when you are feeling down.
  • True friends don not drift apart even after many years of separation.
  • Good friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget.


    Now, Guys I'd like to know if you really have a great (or more than one) friend? How does he/she care your friendship?


    I hope that you really enjoyed this topic, and I also hope that you have great friends like I have.


    I love you all: In alphabetical order

    • Alexandre
    • Bruna
    • Carol
    • Fernanda
    • Lucyany
    • Marla
    • My family
    • Nicolly
    • Rômulo ( my husband hehehe)








                                                                          By Juliana de Albuquerque


      


      












10 comentários:

  1. Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Hello Juliana!!!!

    I really loved your post! Thank you, I have the pleasure to be between your friends!!

    Well, I agree with your post. A real friend is someone that is there for you when you need and that accepts you as you are. I have some really good friends, I'm a lucky person. And be sure, YOU ARE between my dear friends too.

    Most of my friends are living out of Pará, so we always keep in touch through internet. We are always in touch!

    I love you too!

    Congratulations for your post.

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Hi Julie Andrews!!
    That's something friends do: create nicknames for them....heheheh

    I really enjoyed your post, it's nice and appropriate, since we(everybody in class) are going to live together for 5 years!!
    I do have many colleagues, bit real friends just a few...they are very important to me, and I do evrything I can to help them.
    You're also among my best friends Julie!!love you too!don't cry please,hauhauahuahau
    Well, I always try to keep in touch with them, but somethimes it's pretty hard, because as times goes by thing will changing, job, moves, boys or girlfriends, children...this imply chnages...
    And new friends are always coming (thank God!)
    Well, thats all!
    Kissess!!!

    ResponderExcluir
  4. This post has really touched me, since friendship is something I've been thinking these days... I know a lot of people and have many colleagues but as Lucy said FRIENDS are few(but too precious). My friends are like siblings to me, they are really important... Even though , I think we've been far recently... the busy life, with different schedules, sometimes prevent us from seeing each other, it makes me sad... Anyway, vacation is coming and maybe we have some time to be together...

    Very nice post Juli! Congrats!

    ResponderExcluir
  5. Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.

    ResponderExcluir
  6. Hello Juliana! Your post is very cute!

    Well, talk about friends it´s important for me, because sometimes we forget to tell for those "special people" how we love them. For me, my family and my real friends are my support. And I believe, when we have those people next to us, everthing it´s better!

    Congratulations for your friend!


    Hugs! ^^

    ResponderExcluir
  7. I like your post Juliana.
    Have true good friend is very important when you ahve someone to stand by you,to cheer you up when you are upset. I do not have a lot of true and good friend but all I have I try my best to stend by them all. I love You Friends K, H, J, L, C, A, K etc.

    ResponderExcluir
  8. Hello Ju. Thanks to be my friend. I love you.
    Your post is great.
    Well I think very important to have friends who you can talk about everything, like problems, good things. I don't have many friends but I have a number of friends sufficient. "They makes me happy" .
    I care my friendship helping my friends when they need my help, listening their problems, saying good things like "You 're so beautiful/handsome today!"
    I love you:
    Alê
    Claudio
    Cláudia
    Carol
    Juli
    Lucy
    Marla
    My Family
    Rafa.
    In alphabetical order. hehehehheh

    ResponderExcluir
  9. Hello juliana, your post is so cute!!

    Well I have friends like everybody else and I think that life is so much better when you have good friends by your side. As Lucy said, as life goes by it becomes harder to keep in contact with old friends, but you have to try it. I have some good friends from old time when I was a kid and when we get together it's always a big party. Of course I will finish this comment talking about my new friends from college like you Juliana, I'm so happy to be your friend too!! Even if life is hard-working it's always good to finish the day talking a lot of bullshit in the bus with you. And my other friends from Ufpa like Marla, Nicolly and Little Lucy, I love you all, there's room enough for all of you in my heart (so sweet!).

    See you around..

    ResponderExcluir
  10. Hey Juli. What a good idea your post is!!

    I got pretty happy for being among your friends.You have been an amazing friend for me this semester, AND this is the perfect opportunity I have to thank You for all you've done...the times you listened to me, and all the advices and experiences you've shared with me.I really apreciate!

    You Know, I am extremelly devoted to friendship, i think this is one of the most beautiful feelings one can have...of course when its true. Thank you Lord, I have good friends that are always there for me whenever i need. They help me overcome many hard situations i've been through,and i hope doing the same for them.

    One of my favourite books is the Little Prince, which talks exactly about friendship. So I leave the following message for you:

    “Num mundo que se faz deserto, temos sede de encontrar um amigo”



    I dedicate it specially for those who are my new and very loved friends in this classroom:

    Alexandre
    Carol
    Juliana
    Lucyany
    Nicolly


    Marla Abreu

    ResponderExcluir