segunda-feira, 11 de outubro de 2010

Brazilian Popular Music

"Music is part of the Brazilian soul, and rhythm is in the way people speak, in the way they walk, and in the way they play soccer (...)
Music is a passport to happiness for Brazilians, an escape from everyday frustrations and (for most) a hard and difficult material life. 'There's an amazing magical, mystical quality to Brazilian music. Their music is paradise' says jazz flutist Herbie Mann"(Chris McGowan and Ricardo Pessanha)
Música Popular Brasileira, or MPB, literally "Brazilian Popular Music", designates a trend in post-Bossa Nova urban popular music. Signifying much more than the sum of the three words would indicate, "MPB" is a contemporary trend that has brought the world many renowned Brazilian artists. The term can mean either any kind of music with Brazilian origins or a voice and guitar style that arose in the late 1960s.

As much as bossa nova, MPB was born out of an attempt to produce a Brazilian "national" music, thus revitalizing traditional styles. MPB made a considerable impact at that time, boosted by several televised music festivals, where the acronym was popularized. The beginning of MPB is often associated with Elis Regina´s interpretation of the mysterious Arrastão, by Vinícius de Moraes and Edu Lobo in 1965, on the nationally broadcast Festival de Música Popular Brasileira interpreting this song which won the first prize Gold Medal and Elis won the singing prize. 
  
Chico Buarque is a leading MPB singer–songwriter
The conjuncture that created the MPB movement ceased to exist after 1969, but the acronym has survived, even though with a less specific meaning. Transforming from a left-wing musical movement, MPB became the core of Brazil's urban middle-class music, and the term still indicates a certain aesthetic quality in modern Brazilian music.
 
Bebel Gilberto: daughter of João Gilberto and singer Miúcha
Several artists associated with the MPB sound since the 1960s and 1970s remain active, including Chico Buarque, Milton Nascimento, Caetano Veloso, Ivan Lins, Gal Costa, Gilberto Gil, Chico Buarque, and Maria Bethânia. Younger artists whose work has been identified with MPB include Maria Rita, Bebel Gilberto, Marisa Monte, Vanessa da Mata, Adriana Calcanhotto, Sabrina Malheiros, and Roberta Sá.

Just to conclude I would like amplify our discussion, not talking just about one style of music, but about its importance in our society -- music as whole.  Imagine the world without music... it would be a very quiet place, don't you think? Music is a reminder of how things once were, an indication of how things are, and a view of where society is headed. Music is a direct reflection of the picture of society. Music can be a way to deliver messages, a poetic medium, a fine art, or nothing more than a source of entertainment. No matter what it is used for, music is the perfect art.



After this brief description of MPB, I would like to know your opinion about some topics involving ONLY brazilian music:
  1. What kind of music do you usually listen to? Which one(s) do you recommend? (please mention some singers and/or bands)
  2. How important is music in your life?
That's all folks. I hope you have enjoyed my post.
 
Marla Sabrina.


10 comentários:

  1. Congratulations on your post, Marla. It's a very interesting topic. As for the questions, well, I like music very much. I like almost every kind of music, from Forró to Axé...lol... Nowadays, I've been listening to Indie songs a lot. They're independent record labels and not very popular. among my favorite indie band are Aqualung, Athelet, Beirut, and CSS.
    See you. :D

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Hello Marla! Your post is very interesting!

    Well, for me music is essencial for life. I love listen to music, especially when I´m studing. It´s crazy, but I can relax. In my opinion, I like almost kind of music, but I prefer pop rock, metal,reggae and others. So, I don´t have a favourite singer or band, but I have some musics that is special for me, like: That I will be good (Alanis Morissette), Don´t let me go (3 doors down) and Nada vai mudar (Detonautas).


    Kisses and Hugs!!!

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Marla, what a nice post!

    Well, I love to talk about music, because I can't live without it. Depending on the situation I listen to different kind of music. For example, when I'm in love, I like to listen to Celine Dion. I really love her songs and her voice. My favorite song is "Because you loved me" and it's also my ringtone when my boyfriend calls me. I love MPB and poprock too, this kind of music is for me to have fun. I love to occasionaly listen to my favorite songs in public places, I start to sing and it makes me feel better.

    See you my friend!

    ResponderExcluir
  4. Music, makes me happy, makes me fly, makes me remember good and bad things, and makes me cry sometimes.I have musics that represents specific moments in my life.
    I love to listen music aloud. I like to listen rock, metal, pop rock,some international bands. But I also like Brazilians singers and bands, of course, like Los Hermanos, Rita Lee, Roberto Carlos Vanessa da Mata, Cartola,Lulu Santos, Cazuza, Legião Urbana, Engenheiros do Havaí,Paralamas do Sucesso, O Rappa, Biquiní Cavadão( I like some 80's years bands) and much more. Ok, I love music all the time,everywhere.
    Congratulations for your post Marlinha!!!!!
    Kisses.

    ResponderExcluir
  5. Well, I like so much to listen to music! Depending on the situation I'm living or the mood I'm am in a specific day, I'll listen to a certain kind of rhythm. When I'm extremely happy or feel agitated I listen to 'Forró', because I feel as if I were dancing(I love dancing), then I can 'externalize' my happiness. That's crazy, isn't it?! I like to listen to MPB and Brazilian pop rock when I want to reflect about life, its values. I like so much Skank and I also appreaciate Gilberto Gil, Kid Abelha, Charlie Brown, Vanessa da Mata, some Chico Buarque's songs,Lenine, Adriana Calcanhoto, Marina Lima... When I feel love invades me, I listen to Victor e Léo; I think their songs have such beautiful lyrics. I recommend 'Não mais'. Most of the time I listen to international music, but the artists I cited here are some of the Brazilian ones I like most.

    ResponderExcluir
  6. Nice post Marlaaa,

    Well, I like music in a way you can't imagine, listen to music it's already part of my life like studying or teaching. To be honest I don't listen to brazilian music with frequence, I prefer international bands or singers. One singer I'm listening to a lot is Tori Amos. She's an american pianist/writer/singer who sings beautiful songs that are silmilar to poems, I like it very much. And I like some bands like Radiohead (The best in the world), Portishead, Los Hermanos, Arcade Fire and others. Music is so important to me because it was the start to learn a new language (English), it makes our lives more interesting, it's the soundtrack for special moments in life and so on. Music is my hot chocolate.

    ResponderExcluir
  7. Hello my friends!!!
    I simply LOVE music! As you
    all I think life would be so boring without it...I like to listen Vanessa da Mata my favorite song is "eu sou neguinha", it cheers me up. I adore Regina Spektor's songs, and definitely recommend "Samson", it's a beautiful song. I started to listen Beirute and I'm really enjoying, his videos are amazing! I like some heavy sound too like queens of the stone, system of a down, kings of leon, and so on...I don't really have a specific style of music which I listen to, I do not like to label them...In the end it's all music, with the purpose of giving a message or just entertain us.
    Kisses!!
    Lucy.

    ResponderExcluir
  8. Congratulations for your post Marla, very nice!!

    ResponderExcluir
  9. I love listen to music!!!!! They are relaxing and allow us to remember goos or bad moments.... I do not like so much these current songs such as "rebolation", "dá, dá beijinho que passa..." and things like that. Actually I was born ina wrong time because I love so much old songs: I listen to ABBA, A-HA, PET SHOP BOYS, THE MAMAS & THE PAPAS, THE BEATLES ( they're my favorite bands) and flasback. I really like a good "cocoteca"!!! In Brazil I love to listen to Maria Bethania. She is amazing, her voice, her style of singing. I suggest you to listen to "hoje eu ouço as canções que voce fez pra mim" by Roberto Carlos(Another wonderful singer) but interpreted by Bethania.

    ResponderExcluir