sexta-feira, 15 de outubro de 2010

URBAN LEGENDS

Who never heard the legend about a giant alligator inhabit the sewers of New York City?



                     An urban legend, urban myth, urban tale, or contemporary legend, is a form of modern folklore consisting of apocryphal stories believed by their tellers to be true. As with all folklore and mythology, the designation suggests nothing about the story’s truth or falsehood, but merely that it is in circulation, exhibits variation over time, and carries some significance that motivates the community in preserving and propagating it. 


                
               Despite its name, an urban legend does not necessarily originate in an urban area. Rather, the term is used to differentiate modern legend from traditional folklore in pre-industrial times. For this reason, sociologists and folklorists prefer the term contemporary legend. 


                   Urban legends are sometimes repeated in news stories and, in recent years, distributed by e-mail. People frequently allege that such tales happened to a “friend of a friend” - so often, in fact, that “friend of a friend” (“FOAF”), has become a commonly used term when recounting this type of story. Some urban legends have passed through the years with only minor changes to suit regional variations. One example is the Bloody Mary story, recently published in a famous comic book in Brazil “Monica’s Gang” as the Blondie Mary. The legend goes exactly as described in the story and just like the drawing, the story is specifically about a blonde girl. By adding the Brazilian legend with the American one, Monica’s Gang came up with the story Blondie Mary. 


Now, let’s meet the American version:

“A long time ago there was a little girl named Mary. She grew very ill and fell into a deep coma. The local doctor was old and feeble and without knowing any better, he believed she was dead. He informed the family and they had a funeral and buried the poor girl alive! Mary’s family lived very close to the graveyard where she was laid to rest. The first night, Mary’s mother thought that she heard a scream coming from Mary’s grave, but no one believed her. Days later, Mary’s mother convinced the family to dig up her grave. When they did, they found Mary dead, but they also saw scratches on the top of the coffin and Mary’s fingernails were bloody from her efforts to escape the grave”.



Now if you follow these instructions, you may be able to see Mary for yourself. At midnight on Friday the 13th, turn off all the lights in your house. Go to the bathroom and turn on the water in the shower and the sink. Flush the toilet, look into the mirror and say “Bloody Mary” 5 times. She will appear in mirror. You need to hurry and turn on the light or she will stab you in the back.


Whatever their purpose, story telling has been a passion of humankind throughout history, and urban legends are nothing new. They are, in a sense, social theater, and are here to stay, good and bad alike. It may be wise to pay a little more attention, however, the next time someone starts a story with, “You know what happened to a friend of mine?”



Now, what about you? Do you believe in Urban Legend?
Do you like to hear these kinds of stories?
Do you know any? If yes, share with us!


Come on, don’t be afraid. It’s almost Halloween, time for spooky stories!!!!


By Caroline Azevedo Montello

13 comentários:

  1. Hello Carol!
    Congratulations for your post, it is pretty scary!!
    Well, first of all I must confess I'm very fearfull, that's why I don't like to watch horror movies, mainly those ones involving religion and spirits like "O exorcista". But when I start to watch I just can stop! The last one I saw was "O caso 43" with René Zewelger, I recommend!
    I like to hear these stories, but as I told u I get scared.
    When I was a child someone told me a urban legend about a child who as going to buy liver in a butchery, but instead of this he spent all the money with candies. His mother would be very angry with him, so trying to fix his fault he went to the cemetery and got a human liver, which he took to home. All his family ate that human liver even him, and it was delicious... Later at night the dead person went to the boy's house and pulling his feet he said: "Where's my liver???!! The boy was pretty scared, and so was I!!!rsrsrsrs
    Kisses!!!!

    Ps.: There is a very scary movie, it is french "Os mártires". If you are courageous watch it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpDiQimK6U&feature=related

    ResponderExcluir
  2. OMG, I really enjoyed (but got frightened, too) your post, Jaqueline.
    Congratulations!
    As for my urban legend. I remember the tale of a lady who died and was wrapped in cotton. When I was a student, they said we were not supposed to go to the bathroom alone or she's appear all wappred in cotton and she'd take us to hell... I used to pee in a hurry because of this tale..hahahahah. It was back when I was about 10yo. :D

    ResponderExcluir
  3. AHHHHHHH.
    HEHEHEH
    I don't know if i believe in urban legends but I prefer to take care.
    I like to tell, but I don't like to hear this kind of stories.
    I don't like to watch horror movies, I agree with Lucy,mainly movies that involve religion, supernatural things, spirits.Because i'm very scared in the night when I go to bed .hehehe
    It is hilarious but it's true .
    I just remember "A Moça do Taxi", urban legend now.
    That is about a girl who died and her spirit was on the night next to the cemetery waiting for a cab . She passed out to do a city tour then asked the taxi driver who was to receive money the next day. The driver arriving at the address. And he was know that the girl was already dead. So that pretty girl was ghost. ahahaahah

    Bju Carol, Congratulations!!!!

    ResponderExcluir
  4. When I was child I got really scared of listening about urban legend. One urban legend that I remember is about a woman that on her birthday’s night she gets in a cab and goes to her house and she asks to the cabbie waits while she will get the money, the man waits until the morning when he decides to knock on the door’s house, when an old woman appears and explains all the story. It is an old urban legend from here. Whenever I am with my friend and some parents we like to tell this kind of stories mainly when we are in countryside.
    I first met Bloody Mary in a TV show called Supernatural, it shows a lot of strange cases connected with supernatural things, and I watched an episode that was about Bloody Mary and I said 4 times bloody Mary in front of the mirror and I got scared that something cam happen. I am that ones that believe in the power of thinking or imagination and if you really believe in something like this it can happen or if you are do scared.
    Let´s enjoy this time, let´s scare our friends.
    Trick or treating ?

    ResponderExcluir
  5. Hello Carol!!! I really like your post. The subject is very appropriate for this month.
    Well, In my case, I don´t like horror stories, even urban legend. I have a strong afraid in to watch or hear stories that involve blood, violence, death, vampires, witches and etc.


    See you!

    ResponderExcluir
  6. Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.

    ResponderExcluir
  7. Well, I don't know exactly if I believe in urban legends. What I really know is that I feel frightened when I listen to a very interesting story like "A mulher do taxi" or the one shown in the post. I think these legends "touches" our imagination; even if we are sceptic we feel curious about them. I found a Malaysia's version of "A mulher do taxi" in this link: http://www.spookycorner.com/20/malaysia-urban-legends-tale-of-the-mysterious-lady/

    ResponderExcluir
  8. I don't know if I believe it or not in urban legends but I like this kind of story, I don't feel frightened about it. Since I was a kid I've always heard about them and I've always loved to listen to. Of course the most interesting ones are those story that take place in our city like "The lady in a cab" or "The blond of the bathroom". I think these stories are importants because they are the expression of culture in a society and it's always nice to tell them when you are with you friends in a contryside farm at night. It's scarying. rsrsrrss

    ResponderExcluir
  9. I liked all these posts above. They was so interesting, with a lot of knowledge, culturally and not so much cultural, but with content and they was so important to me, because I could read in english, I didn't do it with so much frequency.
    So...
    See you soon!

    ResponderExcluir
  10. Finally, I got to post my commentary!
    It was like a miracle!

    Thank you God!

    ResponderExcluir
  11. i don't actually believe in urban legends but i enjoy listening to people telling these stories. my favorite urban legend is that one called "the lady in the cab" which is told here in Pará. It's about a lady that used to take cabs just to enjoy the ride and observe Belém's streets. After the ride she would tell the driver to charge her parents for it and give him her adress, when the drver got to her house he would find out she was dead :O darn i was just flipping through the comments when i realized nicolly had already told the story but anyways this is my favorite urban legend :D

    ResponderExcluir
  12. Congartulations, Carol, but I'm really afraid bout sucha stories!!!
    As for my urban lend, I've heard about the same teacher's tale when I was at high school, but my tale hade a little diffrence: It was not any lady, but rather a blond lady called "the blond bathroom". As teacher said when a person went to the bathroom alone this lady would take this personto the hell.I was really afraid of it. For many time i did not go the bathroom at all. I prefered to pee at home....UiiiUi

    ResponderExcluir
  13. Haha, very nice post Carol.

    Well, i dont believe in urban legends but i confess that i get afraid when listening to them kkkkkkk.i cant remember any, but when i was younger, the kids in my street used to get together to tell such stories,wow, it was very scary...but since i've grown up i dont usually do this anymore...just when watching movies...

    ResponderExcluir